Getting into Town
A useful guide for getting from Charles de Gaulle Airport into town can be found here. This same site has similar instructions for getting into Paris from Orly airport and from Beauvais airport, as well as metro basics.
These might be useful if you have my taste and budget:
- Hôtel du Midi: Convenient to the airports and Gare du Nord, since it’s right next to the Denfert-Rocherau station. Has the nicest bathrooms I’ve seen in comparably priced rooms in Paris.
- Hôtel Observatoire Luxembourg: Convenient to the airports and Gare du Nord, since it’s right next to the south end of the Luxembourg RER station.
- Hôtel Jeanne d’Arc le Marais: I’ve never been here, but it’s in a nice area and has gotten great reviews from some people I know.
Everyone knows about the Louvre, but there are actually other world-class museums in Paris that many people don’t seem to know about. Here are a couple of my favorites:
- Carnavalet Museum: Sort of the Museum of Paris.
- Musée des Arts et Métiers: This is sort of a museum of science and industry. All sorts of old and less old scientific and technological stuff. A geek must-see.
Careful! Beer is expensive in Paris…
- L’Academie de la Biere: Lots o’ Belgian beers. Near the Port Royal RER station.
- Café Universel: I used to live across the street from this place, and so am partial. Beer is expensive, but there’s live music most nights. Near the south end of the Luxembourg RER station.
- The Lions: English pub/sports bar. This is near my place, so I sometimes go here for big games. Between the Sentier and Bourse metro stations.
Looking for a place to watch a game? Check out Allomatch, where a number of sports and other bars in Paris post what games they will be showing.
A totally random selection of what comes to mind right now.
- Café d’Enfer: Near Denfert-Rocherau
- Le Loup Blanc: 42 Rue Tiquetonne; 75002 Paris; 01 40 13 08 35;
Near rue Montorgueil.
Near the Pantheon and Luxembourg Gardens.
- Polidor: between Bl. St. Germain des Pres and Luxembourg Gardens.